[SIPForum-discussion] Authentication and authorization in SIP

Sonja Belic belic_sonja at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 28 10:01:02 UTC 2007

Hi,
I'll try to explain my question in more details. If we have multihoming  ( more then one IP interface ) SIP system, with more then one client  applications, all implementing
different services, and independently running on that SIP system, how
should AA mechanism work? For instance, we use Digest auth scheme and
receive challenge. The question is how shall we perform authentication,
i.e. on which level?
1. Should we have separate instance of Digest auth scheme for each
application where each application controls own authentication parameters?
2. Or we should consider just one Digest instance and set of
authentication parameters performing authentication for system in whole
(all applications shall use same, for example nonce, within their
further SIP messages)?
3. Or maybe we should take care about authentication per each interface
of multihoming SIP system?

This issue rise up the question about registration too. Shall we perform
registration (SIP REGISTER request) for overall system at once or it
should be done for each application separately?

Are there any recommendations related to this issues? Is there any  dependency on the type of the network used? I would appreciate
to get information about authentication practice in current SIP solutions.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Sonja

Sonja Belic <belic_sonja at yahoo.com> wrote: Hi,
 I have a question regarding authentication and authorization mechanism in SIP. For instance, if there are more then one applications running on the same SIP system, does every application authenticate itself or all of them use the same authentication parameters, defined for that SIP system?
 Thanks in advance.

 Best Regards,
 Sonja