[SIPForum-discussion] Can FROM header field contain IP address.

Halit Sakca sakcahalit at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 29 11:01:59 UTC 2007

Hi Anjani,Nekumar,

I want to add one thing to your comments,
If FROM header contains the IP adress (not domain!), won't Appl. Ser. and Redirect Serv have problem when they try to handle originating call (for both  Service and redirecting) (Because they will query for user but wont match the domain)?
Please keep in mind that.Good day,
halit

Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 12:19:17 +0530From: nekumar at gmail.comTo: chandan.anjani at gmail.comCC: discussion at sipforum.orgSubject: Re: [SIPForum-discussion] Can FROM header field contain IP address.Hi Anjani,       As the RFC 3261 explains, its important not to use IP Addresses in the From header fields because often (logical name available in the ) From header field would be used by network elements for service execution. Though, in IMS there are other mechanisms (P-asserted-identity) using which such service execution can be carried out, still in other non-IMS based SIP Applications, the service execution may well be based on the logical names present in the From header field.>From header being a "URI" format, its not syntactically wrong however to send a IP Address in this field and i believe no SIP parser would reject such a From header.Hope it clarifies things a bit.best regards,Neeraj.