[SIPForum-discussion] Can FROM header field contain IP address.

neeraj kumar nekumar at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 06:49:17 UTC 2007

Hi Anjani,
       As the RFC 3261 explains, its important not to use IP Addresses in
the From header fields because often (logical name available in the ) From
header field would be used by network elements for service execution.
Though, in IMS there are other mechanisms (P-asserted-identity) using which
such service execution can be carried out, still in other non-IMS based SIP
Applications, the service execution may well be based on the logical names
present in the From header field.
>From header being a "URI" format, its not syntactically wrong however to
send a IP Address in this field and i believe no SIP parser would reject
such a From header.
Hope it clarifies things a bit.
best regards,
Neeraj.