[SIPForum-discussion] signaling protocol

Broussard, Dan Dan.Broussard at Level3.com
Mon Jan 15 13:26:34 UTC 2007

I sometimes call SIP "glorified instant messenger"

It tells two devices how to handle an event via given commands.

Invite, bye, info

along with coded messages to tell what to do with a call

486 = disconnect

Meanwhile the actual voice takes a different course via Real Time
Protocol.

So SIP just carrier all the "signaling information" for the call to tell
the devices how to set up the call and when to tear it back down.

Hope that helps.

Dan Broussard
Level 3 Communications