[SIPForum-discussion] SIP using TCP or UDP?

Prasad MNR prasad.mnr at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 04:09:18 UTC 2007

Hi,
The following is a quote from the book "Understanding Sip" by Alan B.
Johnston.

"UDP provides the simplest transport for user agents and servers and allows
them to operate without transport layer state. however UDP offers no
congestion control. A series of lost packets on a heavily loaded IP link can
cause retransmissions, which in turn produce more lost packets and can push
the link into congestion collapse. Also UDP may only be used for SIP when
the message (and its response) is known to be less than the MTU size of the
ip network. For simple SIP message, this is not a problem. however for large
messages containing multiple message bodies and large header fields, this
can be a problem. In this case, TCP must be used, since SIP does not
support fragmentation at the SIP layer."

I think answers Madan's question and also explains why Raman has suggested
to use UDP if its a local network. I may be wrong at this point of time as I
have just started the journey of learning SIP.

Regards,
Prasad MNR