[SIPForum-discussion] SIP using TCP or UDP?

Rezaul Kabir rezaulkabir at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 08:15:48 UTC 2007

I have not heard any such restrictions on the size of packet. But UDP
is used by default and if you closely look at RTC 3261 Section
13.3.1.4 you will notice that it talks about a timer to retransmit
packets and similar example is available in the rfc in several areas.
This behavior of retransmission clearly indicates that it is desirable
to use non-reliable transport such as UDP to send the packets.
According to RFC3263 Section 4.1 is the Sip Uri does not specify any
transport then UDP should be selected. Also by RFC2543 UDP is
mandatory if no transport is defined and for good interpretability.
TCP should only be used if one is thinking of using SIPS/TLS OR the
Sip Uri specifies TCP as transport.

----
Rezaul Kabir