[SIPForum-discussion] SIP vs H248

Rajnish Jain rj at pscientific.com
Thu Feb 22 20:00:42 UTC 2007

The short answer is:

SIP is a peer-to-peer signaling protocol, whereas, H.248 is a
master-slave control protocol. H.248 is a protocol through which Media
Gateway Controllers (MGCs) control Media Gateways (MGs).

H.248 is more suitable for large-scale network cores where there could
be efficiencies gained by separating call-control/signaling processing
(MGC) from media processing (MG).