[SIPForum-discussion] What is the significance of "a:nortpproxy:yes" attribute in SIP SDP message.

samuel samu60 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 12:57:51 UTC 2007

SIP Proxy detects that both client are behind the same IP and the
associated NAT transversal solution (RTPProxy) is not needed, that is
why there is such attribute in the SDP. (no rtp proxy = yes).

It is expected that the router takes care of the media of the clients
connected in the same LAN but some of them does not do it properly.
The "technical" term for this behaviour is that the router must
support hairpining (if I recall properly).

You've got 2 options:
1)either does not check wether SIP proxy clients are behind the same
public IP and  use RTPproxy also in these situations.
2)Configure/Change the NAT Router for one supporting hairpining.

If you go for option 1 you'll provide a more reliable solution (you
will avoid more similar cases) at the expenses of increasing RTP proxy
use and therefore costs...it's up to you.

Hope it helps,
Samuel.