[SIPForum-discussion] how often are RTP packets sent out?

Adam Harding adam.harding2 at ntlworld.com
Tue Feb 13 13:01:51 UTC 2007

Hi,

Sorry if this seems a silly question!

Are RTP packets sent out on a continous basis during a SIP call and if so how often? Or is it just when someone speaks?

I know the delay calculations in ethereal shows the delay between two consecutive packets but how do you determine what the actually delay is supposed to be opposed to what it is at the recieving end?

I am doing tests for SIP calls using ethereal. Can I just capture the RTP packets for my results once a session as been established but with no one speaking? Or does some sort of audio test data need to be generated for the calls?