[SIPForum-discussion] Is "fmtp" line needed in 200 OK answer?

Herve Jourdain herve.jourdain at mstarsemi.com
Wed Dec 12 10:25:55 UTC 2007

Hi,

As far as I remember of RFC 3264, the devices should be prepared to receive
ANY of the codecs it sends in its offer/response

So basically, if you respond with 3 codecs, you should be able to receive at
any time on any of those 3 codecs, and switch between them

That’s why it seems customary on several phones to answer with only one
codec

But even if it’s stated this way in the specs, I still do think that before
switching to another codec, the UAs should at least use the codec that was
agreed for in the negotiation at first (the “highest priority” one, in your
case G729).

Experience shows, unfortunately, that even if it’s usually the case, it’s
NOT ALWAYS the case

I think you might have an example here, and I know I’ve met several devices
– phones or gateways usually – that would also behave in this way

So maybe try with only 1 codec in the response, to see if it works better

But if you do so, please switch to outband DTMF (RFC 2833 or RFC 4733),
because once you give only G729 in the answer there should not be any
possibility to switch to G711 for in-band DTMF.

And your SDP suggests outband DTMF is not activated.

Regards,

Herve

  _____