[SIPForum-discussion] thanks!&&other queation about invite transaction

Herve Jourdain herve.jourdain at mstarsemi.com
Mon Dec 10 15:09:39 UTC 2007

Hi,

I don¡¯t think the session as used in this sentence means more than 2
participants. I think that what RFC 3261 tells is that something is wrong,
so there should be a disconnection in some way.

The point is, depending on the state of the dialog, you can send CANCEL or
BYE. In this paragraph, I think they opt for BYE, hence the dialog needs to
be ¡°confirmed¡±, before it can be terminated by sending a BYE.

One reason for opting for BYE maybe that the transaction which sent the
initial 2XX has supposedly gone to TERMINATED state, hence there should be
no more information available to send a CANCEL for that transaction¡­

As to your remark about ACK, I don¡¯t totally agree. It¡¯s true that at the
state machine level, there seems to be no effect of ACK on transactions when
sent in response to 2XX (for other final responses, the ACK handling is part
of the state machines).

But this is because this part is mostly handled outside the state machines,
in the UA core ¨C either UAC core or UAS core. One of the reasons is that,
if you want generic ¡°state machines¡± for both proxies and user agents, you
need to do the handling of ACK in the core, because it will depend on the
type of application you¡¯re using it in.

For a proxy, you need to forward the 2XX, for a UAC, you need to send a ACK
when you receive a 2XX¡­ So the core ¨C whether proxy or UA ¨C will behave
differently, but the State Machines will remain the same¡­

At least, that¡¯s my current interpretation.

Regards,

Herve

  _____