[SIPForum-discussion] Invitation: Do you want to become the SIP Forum Managing Director?

Jay Batson jay.batson at sipforum.org
Sun Aug 26 15:04:24 UTC 2007

Dear SIP Forum members -

The SIP Forum Board of Directors is seeking a new Managing Director
to oversee its operational activities.  If, after you have reviewed
the remainder of this email, you are interested in taking on this
role, please RSVP to:
   m-director at sipforum.org
Please include your resume, your full contact information, a short
paragraph about why you are interested in the MD role, and what you
think you could achieve in this position.

------------ Background -------------
The Board of the SIP Forum is considering a significant change in the
Managing Director (MD) role.  For the majority of the Forum's
history, the role has been defined predominantly as a primarily
volunteer role, with some small stipend to cover time spent on G&A
functions, etc.  However, this meant that the Forum's MDs have had
"other full time jobs," which tended to limit what the MD, and the
Forum, could achieve.

The Board feels the SIP Forum can still achieve more industry impact
than it has so far.  The Forum has plenty of needs that could be met
if we had an MD that could devote somewhere between 50% - 100% of
their time on Forum business.

But the reality is that the Forum will not achieve this somebody
without paying for a person to do it.  And if we _don't_ achieve
more, the SIP Forum's future relevance can be questioned.

Since we have a reasonable cash cushion, the Board feels that it's
time to make the investment needed to get someone to perform this
role.  Therefore, we're requesting inquiries from interested parties.

----------- Duties --------------
The Managing Director (MD) will work closely with the Board of
Directors to establish annual operational, and financial goals, and
then execute as required in order to achieve them.  The MD will
report to the then-current Board Chair.  Expected job functions will
include:
- Determining what needs the SIP products / services industries, and
the end-user communities have that the Forum can address;
- Establishing, and executing on the marketing or technical programs
& services that meet these needs;
- Creating and performing outbound electronic and print strategies to
communicate the goals, and the progress towards them, including
adding new content as required to the Forum's web site;
- Creating budgets, with membership revenue targets and spending
plans, commensurate with the goals, and working to reach and stay
within those budgets;
- Working with Working Group chairs to execute their various
activities in a timely way;
- Working with the Forum's accounting and legal service providers to
supply financial and legal reports for the Board at each Board
meeting, and overseeing the required annual audit;
- Handling operational maintenance of the Forum's electronic
infrastructure (website, servers, mailing lists, etc.);
- And other work as directed by the Board from time to time.

The ideal candidate is likely someone who has a SIP-related job at a
technology supplier or large enterprise, or who is a professional
consultant in the IP real time communications field.  An optimal
skill set would likely come from a person who has both marketing and
serious technical skills, and a good understanding of SIP, and the
SIP market.  For example, someone who is or has been a SIP-related
product manager at a company building SIP devices or services would
be well qualified.  The Forum expects that the MD should plan on
having between 50% and 100% of their work time devoted to Forum
business.

---------- Compensation ------------
The Forum invites interested people to indicate their compensation
requirements given the above duties.  The Board is prepared to
entertain proposals that approximate an average salary level for U.S.-
based personnel of the skill level referred to above.  The percentage
of time -- between 50% and 100% -- that the person would spend
depends (frankly) on the compensation level.  We would prefer
somebody who we can afford, and pay for them to be full-time 100% SIP
Forum.  If we cannot afford this, we'll examine proposals for less
than full-time work at a higher rate.

The Forum does not currently offer health insurance, or other such
benefits; the ideal candidate will have the ability to procure these
independently.

----------- Locale -----------
There is no specific geographic requirement, or limitation on where
the MD candidates can live.  However, as a practical matter, several
things will likely be controlling:
- The Board has historically been made up primarily of U.S.-based
members, so the Chairman is likely to be U.S.-based (after this
coming election in November).  It is logistically more convenient for
Board members to work with a U.S.-based MD.  Particularly since the
Forum wants to achieve a significant amount by retaining this person,
and so interactions need to be convenient, regular, and low-cost.
- The key service providers (accounting, legal) are located in New
England.  While they could be changed, it does constitute disruption
and cost to do so.  Given that the new MD will absorb a lot of the
Forum's annual budget, such additional costs are not encouraged.

----------- Footnote -----------
Footnote:  Although I have been involved in the SIP Forum since its
founding, and have been its Chair for the last 5+ years, and it's
Managing Director for the last 3, my professional involvement with
SIP is declining.  I will, therefore, not be running again as a SIP
Forum Board member in this fall's election, and will -- as soon as we
identify a replacement -- pass the baton to a new Managing Director.
It has been my pleasure to serve the community in the past years, and
will work to make sure that the only thing that happens in this
transition is that we get more done - not less.

Cheers
-jb

Jay Batson
Managing Director, Chairman