[SIPForum-discussion] Regarding Re-Register and min-expires

Abhishek Mishra abhishek.mishra at globallogic.com
Tue Aug 7 10:46:26 UTC 2007

Hi,

Please see my comments inline.

Kind Regards,
-Abhishek

On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 15:09, Gopalarathnam Sambasivan wrote:
> Hello All,
> Case1.
> UAC sends a REGISTER with expires=1800 to UAS which has say
> min-expires=3600.
[Abhishek] I think Min-Expires: 3600 is too large value, anyways RFC
does not disallow this value so it is OK.
> UAS rejects the REGISTER with 423 (Interval Too Brief) with
> min-expires=3600 - OK.
> A retry of register with min-expires accepted by the server is
> successful.
>
> Case2.
> UAC sends a REGISTER with expires=7600 to UAS which has say
> min-expires=3600.
> There is no subscribe notify for subsequent registrations and hence
> REGISTER is sent after
> random time interval between 1 and expires.
>
> Say there is re- REGISTER s with expires=7600, coming every x secs
> which is less than the
> configured min-expires in the registrar.
>
> Question 1.
> Can the server reject these frequent re-registers within registration
> expiry with 423 response?
> The min-expires seems to be available for the server to avoid flooding
> of incoming registers.
> But according to RFC3261 sec 10.3 it cannot be done. so what can be
> done?
> what is expected from perspective of UAS testing?
[Abhishek] No, registrar cannot reject REGISTER with 423 for frequent
registrations. Registrar can send 423 only if registration expiry is
less than its configured value.

> Question 2.
> From the perspective of UAC testing, can it be ensured that Re-
> REGISTERS are sent only after min-expiry - 3600 on safer side and
> before Expires - so that UAS will always treat the REGISTER without
> overload?
[Abhishek] Unfortunately it is implementation dependent. Usually sip
phone sends registration refresh slightly before session expiry (or on
session expiry).