[SIPForum-discussion] Hello Elites

Ankit erankitkumar at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 20:01:59 UTC 2007

Hi Deepak,

As we all know that to capture ethereal, we use putty and we write commands
to capture through ethereal. But in that case, we don't get the RTP inspite
of doing the route media. Now my question is that Is there any CLI command
set to capture the RTP packets.

In these command set that you have written here, I have some confusions.

Eg:-

 eth2-- is this ur Hot knife port as media passes through this Card??
 Since there is no any IP filtering here, so how you will capture any RTP
packets coming from this  IP as specific.

I tried this command, but its not executing through putty. Please explain a
bit if possible.

Regards,
Ankit

Ankit,

> You don't want to use GUI when you are doing massive captures, you can
> use command line to do this.
> One catch is that ethereal has 2GB limit to the size of file it can
> capture into. So you need to use ring buffer feature as shown below if
> ethereal to do this. It will make 10 files of 2GB and then wrap around.
>

> tethereal -i eth2 -a filesize:2097152 -b 10 -f "udp" -F libpcap -w
> /etherdump/eth2SIP.cap 2>/dev/NULL &
>

> Also ethereal as Andrew as suggested needs to be run on a separate
> machine by using port mirroring. Only be careful if you don't do this
> correctly, you will capture duplicate packets - one which Nextone sends
> and one which destination receives.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Deepak

Ankit Kumar