[SIPForum-discussion] TCP vs RTP

William Prusty williamp at TechMahindra.com
Mon Apr 23 08:34:16 UTC 2007

Can elaborate
1. we need to format data (RTP). What is meant by format data

-----Original Message-----
From: Baris Simsek (Endersys) [mailto:baris.simsek at endersys.com.tr]
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2007 1:58 PM
To: William Prusty
Cc: discussion at sipforum.org
Subject: Re: [SIPForum-discussion] TCP vs RTP

Hi,

Both RTP and SIP based on UDP (sometimes TCP) protocols. So we are
already using TCP/UDP to carry audio. Why we need a high-level protocol?
Because:

1. we need to format data (RTP)
2. we need to control data. (SIP)

Why we mostly prefer UDP and not TCP? Because of efficienty. Low
protocol overhead, low bandwidth.

regards,

Baris Simsek
Business Development Manager

Tel: +90 216 3440715
GSM: +90 533 3260373

http://www.endersys.com.tr
http://www.endersys.com

William Prusty yazmış:

> Whether TCP is capable to carry AUDIO , VIDEO data ?? if yes then why
> we are using RTP in SIP to carry  AUDIO , VIDEO data

Disclaimer: