[SIPForum-discussion] TCP vs RTP

lokesh agrawal lokesh.agrawal at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 08:32:46 UTC 2007

Hi,

First of all let me tell you that TCP and RTP both are both different
purpose.
VoIP data packets live in RTP (Real-Time Transport Protocol) packets which
are inside UDP-IP packets
TCP is more making/terminating connections and RTP is for payloads and data
packets.

VOIP data packets uses UDP, RTP and IP protocols for operation.
We can use TCP(Connection Oriented) in place of UDP(connectionless) but VoIP
doesn't use TCP because it is too heavy for real time applications and for
voice it will add delay in packets as it needs ACK for each and every
packet.

Regards
Lokesh Agrawal
Persistent Systems Pvt. Ltd.