[SIPForum-discussion] About SIP MESSAGE

Deepanshu deepanshu at huawei.com
Mon Nov 27 01:57:41 UTC 2006

Hi Rajneesh
I understand what you said, but i can't relate it with what i asked, may be i did not putted the question in the right way. So, let me phrase my question again.

RFC3428 - SIP MESSAGE says

2. Scope of Applicability
"The authors recognize that there may be valid reasons to send MESSAGE
   requests in the context of a dialog.  For example, one participant in
   a voice session may wish to send an IM to another participant, and
   associate that IM with the session.  But implementations SHOULD NOT
   create dialogs for the primary purpose of associating MESSAGE
   requests with one another."

4. UAC Processing
"A UAC MAY associate a MESSAGE request with an existing dialog.  If a
   MESSAGE request is sent within a dialog, it is "associated" with any
   media session or sessions associated with that dialog."

So according to the above mentioned lines it may require to send a SIP MESSAGE with an existing dialog (SIP MESSAGE are sent without establishing dialog). Now this statement rose the folowing question in my mind.

1. What is the need of sending SIP MESSAGE within the dialog? i want to know the exact conditions in which it is advantageous for the user to send the SIP MESSAGE in the dialog?

2. Further, if there are some condition and we have to send the SIP MESSAGE with in the existing dialog, then i'm confused how to send the SIP MESSAGE with in the dialog which was not initiated by the SIP MESSAGE request?

i hope i'm making sense :-)