[SIPForum-discussion] SIP port 5060 blocked

Irwin Lazar ilazar at burtongroup.com
Fri May 5 14:01:00 UTC 2006

We¹ve had a similar problem, we have a SIP-based IP Centrex service which is
bundled with our Internet access.  Our provider blocks port 5060 for all
traffic other than communications between our phones and their servers, so
we are unable to use any other SIP-based applications which use 5060 (the
well-known port for SIP message exchange).  This has killed our ability to
use Apple¹s iChat AV since it also relies on port 5060.

Strangely enough I¹ve discovered that Gizmo Project, which is a SIP-based
Skype-like phone service, does not use 5060, rather they use UDP port 64064.

Irwin

--
Irwin Lazar, CISSP
Senior Analyst, Burton Group
ilazar at burtongroup.com
Phone: 703-742-9659
AIM/Gizmo/Google/MSN/Skype/Yahoo: imlazar
SightSpeed: ilazar at burtongroup.com