[SIPForum-discussion] [Q] SIP/TCP vs SIP/UDP

Broussard, Dan Dan.Broussard at Level3.com
Mon Mar 13 16:23:49 UTC 2006

Use TCP when prack isn't available.

Dan Broussard
Level 3

-----Original Message-----
From: discussion-bounces at sipforum.org
[mailto:discussion-bounces at sipforum.org] On Behalf Of Jonathan Rosenberg
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2006 10:53 AM
To: Sunny Xu
Cc: discussion at sipforum.org
Subject: Re: [SIPForum-discussion] [Q] SIP/TCP vs SIP/UDP

REGISTER is needed periodically regardless of whether the transport is
TCP or UDP.

Today, most implementations are still UDP, but the general move is
towards TCP. This is for several reasons, including NAT traversal, but
also because of increasing SIP message sizes.

The mechanisms for keeping connections open for dealing with NAT are
documented in:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-outbound-02.txt

-Jonathan R.

Sunny Xu wrote:

> In TCP, after the connection created, we don't need send REGISTER
> periodically but only the first time. Because the TCP's keeping alive
> mechanism is better than SIP's, I think so.
>
> I think this is an advantage for SIP/TCP in some situation.
>

> Sunny

> --

Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
jdrosen at cisco.com                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com