[SIPForum-discussion] SIP subscription and notification mechanism questions

Somesh S Shanbhag someshss at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 30 11:01:28 UTC 2005

Hi Matt,

Reply is inline with the below mail.

Regds,
Somesh S. Shanbhag

--- mtsai at sunrisetelecom.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have several questions about SIP subscription and
> notification
> mechanism(RFC3265 or others):
>
> 1. Where can I find good source of description about
> it? The articles that I can find on the Web are
> quite confusing. It seems it's all covered in
> RFC3265. However, there are some other RFC's also
> seem to relate to it.

Yes, RFC 3265 is the basic document about presence and
other services.
It explains the framework (SUBSCRIBE / NOTIFY, Event
header) to be used
for presence.Then we can see RFC 3856 which is
specific to presence event
package.

> 2. What are their applications in real life? Is
> "presence" one of the applications?

"Presence" is one of the main services provided. We
can see
offline / online status of the other to whom we
SUBSCRIBE.

> 3. Is there any free service or software which
> support this mechanism for both subscriber(client)
> and notifier(server)?

Yes, jain-sip-presence-proxy is the presence server
which *will* issue
the notifications to the subscribers.

> Please advice. Thanks in advance!
>
> Matt

SIMPLICITY IS THE BEAUTY.
BE NATURAL LIVE NATURAL.
Somesh S. Shanbhag
Focus Area - VoIP Team (FA-VoIP)
Mascon Global Communication Technologies
Enterprise of Mascon Global Limited
#59/2, 100Ft Ring Road
Banashankari II stage
Bangalore-560070