[SIPForum-discussion] SIP Interop

Charlotte Wolter cwolter at newtelephony.com
Fri Jul 22 21:57:08 UTC 2005

David,

         I have been researching that question for an article I'm writing
for New Telephony. There is no lab like CableLabs, nor is there a group in
the industry that does certification.  In fact, there seems to be a lot of
resistance to the very idea of certification. It appears this is partly
because there has not been certification before and partly because some in
the industry think SIP systems are more complex than, say, 802.11 systems,
and therefore, difficult to certify.
         As a journalist, I can't say definitely whether this is right,
but, so far, no certification.
         The SIP Forum has sponsored the SIPit Interoperability Events for
some time. Now, there is an effort in the SIP Forum, led by Rohan Mahy in
the Technical Working Group, to develop standard tests SIP devices to show
that they conform to various ways of implementing SIP. The testing would be
done by vendors. Jay Batson highlighted in his posting a couple of days ago
how the SIP Forum is focusing on technical recommendations. A number of
people I talked to for my article indicated this will be very helpful, but
it is not a formal interop lab.

Charlotte Wolter

At 12:36 PM 7/22/2005, you wrote:
>Is there a SIP Interop lab similar to PacketCable? If so are the parties
>involved listed on a website?
>

>David S. Franklin
>Customer Engineering Manager
>
>General Bandwidth
>12303 Technology Blvd.
>Austin, Texas 78727
>(512) 681-5787 - office
>(512) 771-4796 - cell
>
>Support: 866-GENBAND
>Web Support: www.cust.genband.com
>
>The measure of a life, after all, is not its duration but its donation. -
>Corrie ten Boom

Charlotte Wolter
Editor-in-Chief
New Telephony