[SIPForum-discussion] RFC 2833 payload negotiation ...

Madabhushi Pramod madabhushi_p at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 25 15:48:04 UTC 2005

Do we negotiate RFC 2833 receive payload or transmit
payload in TELEPHONE-EVENT?

Lets take an example:

1) SIP device A calls SIP device B
2) A sends SIP INVITE with RFC 2833 payload as '96' in
TELEPHONE-EVENT
3) B answers the call and send RFC 2833 payload as
'100' in TELEPHONE-EVENT as part of 200 Response.

When A sends out-of-band DTMFs to B (using Rfc 2833),
which payload it should use - 100 or 96?

Are we negotiating receive or transmit capabilities?

Is this documented anywhere?

Thanks
Pramod Madabhushi

Pramod Madabhushi